Family Law > Marriage > The Rules of Civil Marriage > Changing the Way You Were Married
Back to top

Changing the Way You Were Married

Even though the laws may have changed since you were married, your marriage is still governed by the way you were married and the rules of marriage for that kind of marriage at that time (except that marital power is automatically scrapped).

Married people can apply to the High Court and ask the court to change their marriage from being in community of property to one out of community of property, or the other way around. Both husband and wife must apply together, they must prove that no other party will be disadvantaged, notice of the change has been given to all their creditors and must give the court good reasons for wanting to change the way they were married.

Get assistance with: