- My name is Benjamin Ngwane. I am a 30 year old male living at 52 Indwe Road, Langa, Cape Town. I am unemployed.
- On Monday 26 September 2015, at about 8 p.m. I was walking on my way home after visiting a friend. I was walking alone on the pavement past Kentucky Fried Chicken.
- A group of men crossed the road and came towards me. I recognised one of them. His name is Patrick Xegwana. He lives a few streets away from me in Pele Street.
- The group stopped me and Patrick Xegwana grabbed me by my shirt and asked me where I was going.
- I said I was going home.
- Patrick Xegwana then slapped me on my left cheek with his left hand. One of the other men assaulted me by punching me in the stomach and kicking me where I lay on the ground. He was wearing a dark blue overall which was very torn. He was also wearing glasses. I recognised this man’s face although I do not know his name. I also don’t know where he lives. He is about 30 years old. I would recognise him if I saw him again.
- I think there were five men altogether. I do not know the names of any of them except for Patrick Xegwana, but I recognised all of their faces. I would recognise them if I saw them again.
- They were all crowding around me while I was lying on the floor being assaulted by the man in the blue overall. One of the men had a gun and was poking it in my side. I was very scared and I didn’t say anything to them. They did not say why they were assaulting me. They only told me that I must not come near their area again.
- Then I blacked out and only remember being picked up by a person called Vuyani. He telephoned the Langa Day Hospital. They sent an ambulance to come and fetch me.
- In hospital I was treated for two broken ribs, severe bruising all over my body, and my eye was bleeding. I had to stay in hospital for 3 days. My hospital card number is 5487. I was treated by Dr Wyngaard at the hospital.
- I do not know if there were any witnesses to the assault on me. I do not know if Vuyani witnessed the whole assault on me.
- I do not know why I was assaulted by the group. I feel that I have been wronged and I want to make a claim against the people who assaulted me.
Date on which the statement was taken: 28 September 2015.
Name and address of person who took the statement:
c/o Langa Advice Centre
Telephone number: (021) 642 0202