- I, Benjamin Ngwane, do hereby make oath and say:
- I am an adult male and I live at Hostel number 52 Indwe Street, Langa, Cape Town.
- I am unmarried. I am presently unemployed.
- On Monday, 26 September 2015, at about 8 p.m. I was walking on my way home after visiting a friend. I was walking alone on the pavement past Kentucky Fried Chicken going in the direction of Hostel 52.
- A group of men crossed the road and came towards me. I recognised one of them. His name is Patrick Xegwana. He lives in Pele street.
- The group stopped me and Patrick Xegwana grabbed me by my shirt and asked me where I was going.
- I told them I was going home.
- Patrick Xegwana then slapped me on my left cheek with his left hand. One of the other men then assaulted me by punching me in the stomach and kicking me where I lay on the ground. He was wearing a dark blue overall which was very torn. He was also wearing glasses. I recognised this man’s face although I do not know his name. I don’t know where he lives. He was about 30 years old. I would recognise him if I saw him again.
- I think there were five men altogether. I do not know the names of any of them except for Patrick Xegwana but I recognised all of their faces. I would recognise them if I saw them again.
- They were all crowding around me while I was lying on the floor being assaulted by the man in the blue overall. One of the men had a gun and was poking it in my side. I was very scared and I didn’t say anything to them. They did not say why they were assaulting me. They only told me that I must not come near their area again.
- Then I blacked out and can only remember being picked up by a man called Vuyani. He telephoned the Langa Day Hospital for an ambulance to come and fetch me. I stayed there until the ambulance arrived and took me to hospital.
- At hospital I was treated for two broken ribs, severe bruises all over my body, and my eye was bleeding. I had to stay in hospital for 3 days. My hospital card number is 5489. I was treated by Dr Wyngaard at the hospital.
- I do not know if there were any witnesses to the assault on me. I do not know if Vuyani witnessed the whole assault on me.
- I do not know why I was assaulted by the group.
THUS SIGNED AND SWORN TO at LANGA this 30th day of September 2015 the Deponent having acknowledged:
- That he/she has no objection to taking the oath;
- He/she deems the oath binding on his/her conscience;
- He/she understands the contents of this Affidavit and stated that same was all true and correct and uttered the words ‘So help me God’.
COMMISSIONER OF OATHS